How to play guide for Covens
- 1 What is the objective of Covens?
- 2 How do I become strong?
- 3 What happens when I'm out of energy?
- 4 How do I exit the Death State?
- 5 Can I play alone, or do I need to be in a Coven?
- 6 How do I change my alignment (shadow, white and grey)?
- 7 What is a covens tournament?
- 8 What is the Leaderboard?
- 9 How do I get Silver and Gold Drachs?
- 10 How do ingredients work?
- 11 Why can't I cast spells?
- 12 Tips and tricks
What is the objective of Covens?[edit | edit source]
Explore the world. Gather items to empower your magics. Banish spirits and practice your spells on other witches. All of these things will prepare you to battle in the world’s many Places of Power and rise among the ranks of a new generation of witches.
How do I become strong?[edit | edit source]
Witches can become more powerful by gaining higher level, more points of power and resilience, increasing their base energy and unlocking more spells.
Gaining Experience and Levels[edit | edit source]
- Experience points are awarded to players for activities like banishing wild spirits, completing daily objectives, wining Places of Power and casting spells, additional activities can also reward experience and there are new sources of experience added to Covens with every season. One example of additional activities that reward experience is addition of world bosses in Winter Season 2019, they among other things award large amount of experience to witches that manage to defeat them.
- Level is a number that represents witch overall skill and experience, after witch accumulates enough experience points they gain a level. Until level 5 for each level that witch gains they are rewarded with bonus 1000 energy to their base of 10000 energy , after level 5 each new level will no longer reward energy increase but instead witches will gain point of power or resilience.
Power and Resilience[edit | edit source]
- Power is a stat in Covens that increases damage done by 5% for every point and can be obtained from alignment, rewarded for leveling and can be temporarily increased as a limited time buff from spells. Power can also be reduced with temporary debuffs from spells.
- Resilience is a stat in Covens that reduces damage done by 5% for every point and can be obtained from alignment, rewarded for leveling and can be temporarily increased as a limited time buff from spells. Resilience can also be reduced with temporary debuffs from spells.
Energy[edit | edit source]
- Energy is the life force of all witches, you use your energy to cast spells, summon spirits, project yourself in astral form, and do all things witchcraft. If you lose all your energy you will enter the Death State.
Spells[edit | edit source]
Spells allow witches to deal damage, restore energy, or manipulate other characters as well as apply effects that will affect the target in a variety of ways. Spells are divided into 3 schools of magic: White, Shadow, and Gray.
Not all spells are available to witches when they start the game. As they level up, they will unlock new spells.
Some spells are only available to witches that master one of the alignment paths.
List of spells that witches can obtain in Covens:
|Grey Spells||White Spells||Shadow spells|
|Seal of Balance||Seal of Light||Seal of Shadow|
|Greater Seal||Reflective Ward||Rage Ward|
|Greater Dispel||Greater Bless||Greater Hex|
|Crow's Eye||Twilight Dawn||Twilight Dusk|
What happens when I'm out of energy?[edit | edit source]
Once your energy is reduced to 0, you are sent to your physical location and you enter what is called the Death State. While in the Death State, your actions are limited, so you are unable to do anything but use the in-chat.
How do I exit the Death State?[edit | edit source]
To exit the Death State you have several options at your disposal:
- You can pay Savannah Grey 1 Gold Drach, and she will instantly restore you to full energy.
- You can wait for the 1 hour Death State timer to run out, after which you will be revived with a small portion of your energy.
- You can wait for Savannah Grey's daily blessing, which will restore you to your full base energy.
- You can share your location in chat and ask other players to revive you by using either Grace or Resurrection. Both spells can only be cast on witches in the Death State, and only players above level 5 have access to these spells.
Can I play alone, or do I need to be in a Coven?[edit | edit source]
Being in a coven provides a witch with a private chat with the coven members, a power buff when other witches from your coven are nearby, and allies you can call upon when facing the challenges too difficult to face on your own. However, a witch can play Covens without joining the coven and will not be blocked from any content inside the game.
How do I change my alignment (shadow, white and grey)?[edit | edit source]
When witch first starts the game they are aligned with Grey School of magic, from that point onward every spell that witch cast from White and Shadow school will affect their alignment and attune them to those schools, casting spells from Grey school will not affect players alignment. Moon phases affect all witches in Covens and on days when Moon is illuminated White witches gain benefits of more energy while when Moon is in the shadow of the Earth Shadow witches gain more energy.
Grey Witch[edit | edit source]
- A Grey Witch is a witch that follows Grey path and sits between White and Shadow schools by casting an equal amount of White and Shadow spells. Although these witches do not benefit from bigger energy restoration or higher damage, they are less affected by the changing of the Moon's phases and they have higher success rates for their spells.
White Witch[edit | edit source]
- A White Witch is a witch that follows the White path and mostly casts spells that belong to White school of magic. These witches are better suited to restore energy and are most powerful when the Moon is illuminated by the light of the Sun.
Shadow Witch[edit | edit source]
- A Shadow Witch is a witch that follows the Shadow path and mostly casts spells that belong to Shadow school of magic, these witches are better suited to deal damage and are most powerful when the Moon is darkened by the shadow of the Earth.
What is a covens tournament?[edit | edit source]
In Covens, each season (spring, summer, autumn, and winter) is a tournament. Each tournament is judged by the arbiters of the Grey Hand coven in the name of Dea Savannah Grey. The witch and coven with the most points at the end of each tournament wins, but many awards are given for high placement within the ranks. The criteria for gaining points may change from tournament to tournament, as well as the titles given to exemplary witches. The final two weeks of every tournament is called the Ember Days. During the Ember Days, the rules may change significantly. The nature of these changes will be shared before the start of the Ember Days. The next set of Ember Days will begin on March 6, 2020.
What is the Leaderboard?[edit | edit source]
In the Leaderboard, we list the strongest witches and covens of the world according to the judgement of the Grey Hand coven. We consider many factors, including your experience, your success in Place of Power battles, your mastery of spirits, your knowledge of the three schools of magic, and your use of spell ingredients. Top witches and covens will be awarded prizes at the end of each seasonal tournament, and your score will reset.
How do I get Silver and Gold Drachs?[edit | edit source]
Silver and Gold Drachs are the currency used by witches in Covens to pay for various services and trade with Madame Fortuna. Both of these currencies can be purchased from the in-game store, but they can also be acquired by playing the game.
In-game store prices for Silver and Gold Drach are as listed below:
|Silver Drach||$||Gold Drach||$|
- Silver Drachs are obtained from banishing wild spirits, completing Daily Achievements, opening the chest reward for completing all three Daily Achievements, turning in forbidden tools to Grey Hand Coven, gaining levels, and fighting in Places of Power.
- Gold Drachs are a reward for a witch that manages to win a Place of Power battle, and there is a small chance for a witch to earn 1 or 5 Gold Drachs when opening chest reward for completing all three Daily Achievements.
How do ingredients work?[edit | edit source]
Ingredients are collectible items that can help or harm your spells; this is due to their properties. Some items have a clear indication of what branch of witchcraft they're best suited for by their descriptions, while others can be more cryptic.
Each spell in Covens has a signature of a gem, a tool, and an ingredient.
Why can't I cast spells?[edit | edit source]
There are many reasons you may not be able to cast spells, such as:
- Not enough energy to cast
- Not enough ingredients to cast
- Cooldown time not over yet
- Lag (this is easy to tell by the cooldown time not moving while the icon is faded out or the game telling you to wait)
- You casted a damage causing spell on a witch outside of a PvP area, which led to you getting spell blocked